Time to read: 12 min.
The article covers the following topics:
- Billing for Affiliates: what is it?
- Where can I find the Billing for Affiliates feature in Affise?
- Which permissions should be granted to let generate a billing?
- How can I generate the billing?
- How can I search for the billing and change its status?
- How can I see details of a certain billing?
- How to edit the billing?
- What is an export option?
- Billing Auto-generation option
- Billing on Affiliate panel & Affiliate edit page
- The coherence of Billing for Affiliates, Statistics, and Affiliate Balance
Billing for Affiliates: what is it
Affise allows generating billings (payments, invoices) for affiliates. In brief: the system automatically counts payouts presented in conversions and generates a billing that can be given to affiliates by Affise clients.
The Billing for Affiliates feature's main purpose is to help Affise clients to calculate expenses that are to be paid to affiliates.
Affise does not pay money on its own. The Billing for Affiliates feature serves only for expenses calculation and giving the prepared invoice to an affiliate.
To ease the work with billings off, you can use the Tipalti plugin. See our guide on this option.
Where can I find the Billing for Affiliates feature in Affise?
You can find Billings for Affiliates in the Admin panel -> Billing -> Affiliates.
Upon getting to a Billing page, you will see three sections:
- Forms for billing generation.
- Form for billing searching and its status changing.
- List of existent billings.
Which permissions should be granted to let generate a billing?
All permissions are granted here: Admin panel -> Users -> User management. Check our guide on User management.
Billing is a section, so if some user would like to have access to the Billing section, the following settings should be set up:
How can I generate the billing?
Affise allows generating the billing by using one of two forms.
The first one allows billings generation for a certain time range. It has three fields:
- Date: this field is responsible for the date, which the system will start with to calculate payouts in conversions. The current date is set up by default. You may choose any other date in the past.
- Affiliates: if no particular affiliate is chosen, the billings will be generated for all affiliates.
- Note: You may write a note that will be reflected in the column ‘Note’, on the billing view page, in the .pdf version of the billing as well as on the Affiliate panel. If there is no written note, then the period of time, which payouts for conversions are counted for, will present in the relevant column in the Billings list.
The second one allows the generation of the billing for a certain sum of money for a certain affiliate. It has four fields:
- Affiliate: select a certain affiliate.
- Sum of money: type a certain sum of money.
- Currency: choose the currency. A new currency can be activated or assigned as a default one in Settings.
- Note: same as in the case of the first form.
The second form can’t divide a payout for a conversion. For example, if you set up 100$, but the payout for the conversion is 3$, then the billing will be generated for 99$ - the most proximate sum.
Whichever form is used, the date which billing will be generated from is the date of the last payment. If no payment was made in the past - payouts for conversions would be counted from the first conversion of the affiliate (all affiliates).
Payouts for conversions of Approved status only are included in the billing.
If you use the first form, and there are conversions with different currencies, then one billing for one currency will be generated. Thus multiple billings might be generated.
If you want to generate the billing for referral affiliate, then the first form only should be used.
How can I search for the billing and change its status?
The form for Billing searching has five fields:
- Date: choose the period of time during which you want billings to be shown up.
- Affiliate: choose the certain affiliate who you want to find the billing for. If no certain affiliate is chosen, then billings for all affiliates will be shown up.
- Status: choose the status of the billing.
- Payment system: choose the payment system used in billings that you want to be shown up.
- Amount of billings: choose the number of billings you want to be shown up per page.
You may change the status of the certain billing or several billings in bulk:
- Waiting: the billing is prepared, but not completed. You can edit, delete it, view the details, conversions included, and download the version in .pdf format.
- Completed: the billing is closed. You can view the details, included conversions, and download the version in the .pdf format.
- Partly paid: the billing is prepared, but not completed.
- Pending: the billing is prepared, but not completed.
- Sent to tipalti - relevant when Tipalti plugin is used
- Waiting payment tipalti - relevant when the Tipalti plugin is used.
- Declined - relevant when the Tipalti plugin is used.
How can I see details of certain billing?
Firstly you need to choose the billing. The list of billings contains several columns:
- ID: ID of the certain billing, that you can find in the User activity log.
- Affiliates: the certain affiliate whom the billing belongs to.
- Payment system: the payment system used for this particular billing. See the guide on error troubleshooting to find more information about that.
- Payout: the sum of money.
- Status: see the full list of the statuses.
- Date: the date of the billing generation.
- Note: the note, written in Note field or the period of time, which payouts for conversions are counted for.
- Actions: possible actions (view, download the version in .pdf format, edit, delete).
To view the details, click on this sign: You will see this page:
- Offer title: if an offer title is changed in the future - no changes will be observed on the billing view page and the downloaded invoice and Affiliate panel. If the offer was deleted, the relevant string would be empty.
- Count: total number of conversions included in the billing.
- Price and currency: the total sum of payouts. You can see several strings for the same offer - it depends on the number of Payouts set up in the particular offer in the Payouts section. For example, the offer contains two different goals with two different payouts. Thus if the affiliate has payable conversions for both goals - two strings with the sum of money will be shown up.
- Total and currency: the certain sum of money paid under the payout met by the affiliate in a certain conversion.
If the payout is less than 0.0001, it is rounded to the tenth decimal, if the payout is equal to 0.0001 or bigger - it is rounded to the fourth decimal.
At the bottom of the page, there is a ‘Conversions’ button. If you click on it, you will see the list of conversions included in the billing.
You can click on the offer name - then you will be led to the offer view page. You can also click on the conversion ID, which will lead to the conversion view page. The first conversion is the newest one, the last conversion (located at the bottom of the page/on the last page) is the oldest one.
There is an opportunity to export this table as an Excel file by clicking on this sign: All conversions shown on a certain page will be exported.
How to edit the billing?
To edit the billing, click on this sign: You will be led to the edit page:
Here you can change the details regarding Payment account, Status, Comment, and Note. The information you will write in these fields does not influence the sum of money and the process of actual billing payment. The information in these fields will appear in the .pdf version of the billing, on the billing view page, as well as on the billing page on the Affiliate panel.
At the bottom of the page, there is a 'Correction' option:
You may add the needed sum of money to the billing with the comment via this option. This sum of money can be deleted until the billing has Complete status.
The option of billing editing is available only when the billing has any status, except ‘Complete’.
What is an export option?
The export section allows getting information about all or certain billings in a text format.
You need to choose one/several/all billings firstly. There is an opportunity to choose delimiter, format, and the needed fields, the number of strings. There is an opportunity to create a custom field (Text field) and type some additional note or comment. Then you need to click on an ‘Export’ button, and you will receive all the data in the text format.
Billing Auto-generation option
There is an opportunity to let the system generate billings automatically. In Settings -> Affiliate Dashboard design -> General you can set up a rule for invoices auto-generation:
- Disabled: disable auto-generation;
- Weekly: invoices will be generated each Monday 00:01 for the previous calendar week;
- Bi-weekly: invoices will be generated once in two weeks on Monday 00:01 for the previous 2 calendar weeks;
- Monthly: invoices will be generated on the first day of the new month at 00:01 for the previous calendar month.
Timezone, set up in Settings -> General.
The relevant comment will be added to the invoice: ‘Created by Auto-generation schedule’:
All such billings are generated in Waiting status by default. See the section ‘How can I search for the billing and change its status’ to know how to change the status of the billing.
Suppose, there is already generated billing in the system, which partially matches the period of time, that the auto-generated billing has Then the following happens: the auto-generated billing will be created from the date of the last conversion, included to the already generated billing.
Another situation: there is already generated billing in the system, which fully matches the period of time, that the auto-generated billing has. Then the following happens: the auto-generated billing will not be created.
Billing won’t be generated, if:
- The Affiliate does not have Active status;
- The Affiliate does not have a payment system for the currency of the payable conversions;
- The Affiliate does not have payable conversions at all.
Billing on Affiliate panel & Affiliate edit page
Billing on Affiliate panel
Before starting to work with billings, an affiliate should choose a payment system with the relevant currency. He should go to his Profile to the relevant section:
If the Affiliate has several payment systems for the same currency, he can choose the main payment system by clicking on the ‘Mark payment system as main’ button. If there is no main payment system, the upper latest payment system is used by default. Only one payment system can be marked as main, so we recommend to add only one system for one currency.
After you created the billing, it becomes visible on the Affiliate panel in the Payments section.
Unlike the billing view page on the Admin panel, there is no opportunity to view certain conversions on the Affiliate panel, included in the particular billing.
See the guide on Affiliate profile to get more information.
Billing on the Affiliate edit page
You can add a payment system on the Affiliate edit page on the Admin panel. Go to Affiliates -> Affiliate management -> Certain affiliate edit page and scroll a bit down.
The list of available payment systems is pulled from the list of payment systems presented in Settings -> Content -> Payment systems.
The coherence of Billing for Affiliates, Statistics, and Affiliate Balance
The coherence of Billing for Affiliates and Statistics
You can always check which conversions are already paid. To do that, go to Statistics -> Conversions slice. You will see the filter:
- Unpaid: conversions, not included in the billing;
- Waiting: conversions, included to the billing, that has any of statuses, except Complete;
- Paid: conversions, included to the billing, that has Complete status only.
Statuses are updated every 24 hours.
Thus you can always compare the billing and the Statistics:
- In Conversion slice of Statistics and the list of conversions, included in the billing;
- In Daily slice of Statistics. See column Total - Payouts. This column shows payouts only for Approved conversions (if the slider ‘With Hold’ is off).
The coherence of Billing for Affiliates and Affiliate Balance
On the page of Affiliates list, there are the following columns:
- Balance: includes payouts for conversions that have Approved, Pending and Hold statuses;
- Hold: includes payouts for conversions that have Hold status only;
- Payout: includes payouts for conversions that have Approved status only. Thus the sum in the column ‘Payout’ only is available to be paid to an affiliate.
The sum of money in all three columns is reflected for payouts for unpaid conversions only (conversions, not included in the billing).
Once the billing for the certain affiliate is generated, the sum of money, included in the billing, is charged off in ‘Balance’/’Hold’/’Payout’ columns. As the billing includes payouts for conversions with Approved status only, the payouts for conversions in Hold status will remain in Balance and Hold columns. If you delete the billing, the sum of money will return to all three columns.
If the flag 'Show only approved conversions' is On in Settings -> Affiliate dashboard design -> General, then the sum of money from Approved conversions only will be shown in the Balance column.
The sum of money in all three columns is updated each hour, and thus if you deleted the billing and now want to create a new one for the same Affiliates, you need to wait for an hour.
If the affiliate is not in Active status, his balance will remain at the point when the affiliate became banned/not active.
1) Does Affise pay money on behalf of it?
No, Affise only provides the option of generating billings as a paper, which you can give to the affiliate via Affiliate panel/E-mail/other services or in real life.
2) Can I delete billing in Complete status?
No. You only can view the details about this billing or get its version in .pdf format.
3) I generated the billing for an affiliate, and I see that it contains only new conversions. I have another billing created before for the same affiliate, but it is not closed. Why do I see only new conversions in the new billing?
Two billings can’t contain the same conversion. Once the billing is created, payouts for conversions are ‘blocked’, and neither can be changed inside the billing not can be included to the next generated billing.
4) How can I get the version of the billing in the .pdf format?
On the page with the list of the billings click on this sign:
5) Which payment system chosen on Affiliate profile is considered as a default one?
The upper latest payment system is used by default if no payment system is marked as the Main one.
6) How does the generation of billings is logged in the User activity log?
See Case No. 4 in our guide on the User activity log.
7) How can I manage Billing for Affiliates via API?
You can check the balance of the affiliate and his chosen payment systems via these methods:
You also can add/delete/edit payment systems for an affiliate via this method:
An affiliate can check his balance by using this method (with the help of his Api key):
The following articles can be helpful:
If you still have any questions left on the Billing for Affiliates feature, feel free to address them to the Affise Technical Support Team via firstname.lastname@example.org as long as to contact your Dedicated Account Manager.
Written by Lizaveta Talkachova