The article covers the following topics:
- Affise tracking metrics
- Basic principle of Impressions tracking
- Basic principles of Clicks tracking
- Basic principles of Conversions tracking
- Clicks&Conversions tracking flow
Affise tracking metrics
Tracking is the process of monitoring data flow, recording data in databases and supplying a timely ordered sequence of data for further processing.
This is an effective method to measure the performance of most advertising campaigns. There are 3 metrics Affise allows to track:
Impression, a view of an advertisement.
Click, an act when a user clicks on the ad and he is directed to the product itself.
Conversion, a desired action performed by a customer (e.g. install, registration, purcase and etc.).
Affise provides an opportunity to track impressions each time a user loads a webpage where an ad is placed.
How to enable Impressions tracking at Affise:
Affise client should activate “Allow Impressions” option in the offer settings.
Affiliate takes a pixel (a piece of code) on the offer page on his account. After that the affiliate should implement the pixel into the code of the page where an ad is located.
A user navigates to the page with the ad, the pixel fires and an impression appears in stats.
“Full-cycle” process implies passing stats on impressions to Advertiser.
The procedure is almost the same as it is with a standard impressions tracking process, but it also requires filling in ‘Impression Destination URL’ field with Advertiser’s impression link.
Once impressions occur in Affise system they are sent to Advertiser.
“Full-cycle” Impression tracking is available on Enterprise and Custom plans.
Find out more about Impressions set up and tracking in the detailed guide here
The second metric which may be tracked with the help of Affise system is Click. It is necessary for our client to integrate with both advertiser’s and affiliate’s systems to be able to track clicks.
1) Advertiser gives a tracking link to Affise client.
2) Affise client creates an offer and adds the link to ‘Tracking URL’ field.
3) The client generates a link for a specific affiliate on the page of an offer:
4) The client provides the affiliate with this link.
5) The affiliate adds this link to his tracking system.
6) The affiliate generates his link on the basis of the Affise link and implements it into a banner.
If affiliates do not use trackers they may place Affise link into the banner.
How the click occurs in Affise system:
A given ad is shown on a specific page, a user sees the ad, clicks on it and the system redirects the user through Affise (via Affise link) to the product. There are several redirects (affiliate’s tracking link -> Affise tracking link -> Advertiser’s tracking link -> a product itself) that may not be visible for users at all. Affise records clicks at that very moment moment when the user is directed from Affiliate’s link to Affise link and then further to Advertiser’s link.
Tracking links allow to pass additional info on clicks with the help of parameters (constant) and macros (variable). The macros are replaced with info when a click occurs.
Find out more about how to update tracking links,which parameters and macros to use in the articles of the related Knowledge Base section here.
The most important metric at Affise is Conversion, it is essential for creating offer payouts. Numbers in Income, Payouts, Revenue tabs in statistics are counted on the basis of conversions.
There are 2 ways of tracking conversions:
1) C2S (client to server or pixel) Integration is used when an advertiser does not have any tracking instrument connected to his website. It involves the usage of a special pixel which is put into the code of success page (where a user is directed after performing a desired action) to notify Affise system that a conversion has occurred.
A necessary piece of code may be taken from the offer settings: Postbacks tab -> Integration pixels field.
2) S2S (server to server or postback) Integration is used to get a notification on a conversion from Advertiser’s system. It involves the usage of Postback URL (a special URL which serves as a notification about the action made by a user) generated in Affise system.
Affise client takes the postback in the offer settings: Postbacks tab -> Integration pixels field -> S2S (Postback). After that he needs to modify (to add necessary parameters and relevant macros) it in accordance with integration rules with a specific tracking system used by an advertiser and place it into the system of the advertiser.
The conversion appears on advertiser’s panel and the postback is sent to Affise.
The same method is used to notify our client’s affiliate that the conversion has appeared in Affise system. The affiliate adds his postback to Affise (on the offer page or in the profile in affiliate’s account at Affise) updating it with necessary Affise macros.
When Affise tracks a conversion the affiliate receives a postback.
You can find out more about how to update tracking links,which parameters and macros to use in the articles of the related Knowledge Base section here.
Clicks & Conversions Tracking Scheme:
When you're finished with understanding basic principles of Integration, you can move further with setting up Integration with your Advertiser and Affiliate.
The following articles can be helpful:
- Affise parameters & macros for S2S Integration with Advertiser
- How to take S2S Integration Test with Advertiser?
- Affise parameters & macros for S2S Integration with Affiliate
- How to take S2S Integration Test with Affiliate?
- Pixel Integration
If you still have any questions left on Basic principles of Integration process, feel free to address them to Affise Technical Support Team via email@example.com or to refer to your Dedicated Account Manager.